Secure Sockets Layer and Email Anti-Virus Incompatibilities
Secure TLS or SSL Email Connections are incompatible with some Anti-Virus & Anti-Spam products
Certain Anti-Virus and Anti-Spam products may not be able to Virus/Spam scan your Email when Secure TLS or SSL Email Connections are in use. This is because these products only implement scanning of Plain-Text, non-encrypted Email.
There are two possible solutions to this issue:
- Disable the Email Scanning Component of your Anti-Virus product. Please consult the user guide of your Anti-Virus product for further assistance with changing this option. In many cases, disabling this option does not mean you are unprotected; your Anti-Virus product should still catch infected attachments via its on-access scanner, but this depends on the Anti-Virus product in use.
- Disable Secure TLS or SSL Email Connections In this case, you should only change your Outgoing and Incoming Server names in the instructions above.
The following is a list of products where the manufacturer acknowledges the issue. Note that this list is not definitive, as other unlisted Anti-Virus and Anti-Spam products may also be suceptible to the same issue.
- Norton AntiVirus 2003
- Norton AntiVirus 2003 Professional Edition
- Norton AntiVirus 2004
- Norton AntiVirus 2004 Professional
- Norton AntiVirus 2005
- Norton AntiVirus 2005 3 User License
- Norton AntiVirus 2006
- VirusScan (up to and including V.10)
- SpamKiller (up to and including V.7)
Customers who wish to use our Secure TLS or SSL Email Connections combined with Virus Scanning are advised to consider our Email Protection Services, which scan and remove viruses from your email before they arrive. This should be complemented with suitable desktop Anti-Virus protection, such as Sophos Anti-Virus.